Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Meeting the Man in the Mirror

"If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make a change." -Michael Jackson

Good Morning!

(In my last post, I used a Bible verse to support my point. I'll use a lot of different sources to that end; I'll use anything from the Quran to Michael Jackson. From the Vedas to Malcolm X. Anyone who supports my point, I'll be happy to quote. Fair warning.)

Who is the (Wo)Man in the mirror? If you have never looked into the mirror and asked that question, then you have not yet fully lived. You have not yet really been awake. It is one of the most important of all questions: Who Am I?

Am I the thoughts I think? Am I the feelings I feel?

No.

I Am the thinker; I Am the experiencer.

When I have a thought, it is within my experience that the thought exists. But, let me put it another way: When I hear music, it arises out of silence. Without the silence, there can be no music.

Most of us go through life thinking we are the music. But in fact, we are not the song; we are not even the singer. We are the silence. Thoughts arise out of that self-same silence. Without the silence there is only cacophony, chaos. This condition is also called "madness."

The guy in my mirror quietly stares back at me. Is he quietly judging me? No, that's just me. I'm the one doing all that. That is to say, I am allowing those kinds of thoughts to come forth. My job now is to shift the focus of my attention from the stream of negative thoughts and emotions, to the silence.

Then, from the platform of silence, new and emotionally better thoughts can arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment